Sunday, May 12, 2013

Eleven days 'til Thirty...Musical Therapy...

I used to have this colleague who didn't like music.  Something like that just doesn't compute to me.  How can someone just not like any music?  Every single piece of music I listen to stirs some kind of emotion.  Happiness, Sadness, Anger, Excitement, Annoyance, you name it.  I will choose a song to listen to either based on what I'm currently feeling, or what I would like to feel.  Simple enough.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of music out there today that I think is complete crap.  I don't deny the catchiness of a lot today's music, but music is so processed and engineered that an "entertainer" doesn't really have to have any talent to make a hit song.  And lyricism is somewhat of a lost art these days.  There are huge teams of writers that write (not so great) songs instead of just an artist singing their own stuff.  I know I sound curmudgeonly.  Did you know that Adele's "Someone like You" was the first piano and vocal only ballad to be on the Billboard top 100 since its inception in 1958?  And as tired as everybody got of that song...you can't deny it's ability to hit you "right there" and it was a very personal song that she wrote directly from her heart and her life experiences. 

In any case...I thought I'd share some of the songs that have really resonated with me over the past several years.  I encourage you to listen to all of them.  Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes the instrumentation, sometimes it's only one phrase or sentence that gets me.  Listen (Disclaimer...most are sad...ha):

This song always makes me happy:
Prelude / Angry Young Man
By: Billy Joel


I already mentioned Adele's someone like you, but I love this cover:
Someone Like You
Cover By: Charlie Puth & Emily Luther


This is a beautiful song from a musical that was never released about Peter Pan.  The song takes place when Peter goes back to find Wendy and she is older and he's trying to get her to remember him:
Do You Remember
By: Pasek & Paul
Sung By:  Gavin Creel


This song is just funny, but the video is great as well:
Fuck You
By: Lily Allen


This is my favorite song by Nickel Creek:
When You Come Back Down
By: Nickel Creek


Here's another great song by Nickel Creek that I listened to on repeat for awhile:
Somebody More Like You
By: Nickel Creek


My favorite Ella Fitzgerald Song:
How High the Moon
By: Ella Fitzgerald


This song makes me happy even though it's morbid.
You Rascal You
By: Louis Armstrong & Louis Jordan


This song just resonates is all.  It's a tango and Katie is amazing...
Why Are You Still Here
By: Katie Thompson


One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite composers sung by a great voice:
Kiss the Air
By: Scott Alan
Sung by: Danny Calvert



OK....10 songs is enough for now.  I should just make a playlist of "Cory Essentials" for you to listen to.

Listen to them all.  Give them a chance.  Listen to the words even if you don't like the style of music.  There's a lot of good stuff in there.

BYEEEEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment