Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ten days 'til Thirty...Mother's Day...

Most of you who know me know that I'm a big ol' mamas boy.  And I always have been:

Me at around 1 year with my 22 year old Mother.

I have often told people (my parents included) that I want to raise my children exactly as my parents raised me and my sister.

My sister at 4 and Me at 1

Our 22 year old father
Look at that fancy couch!  Growing up, my parents, only 18 when they had their first child, struggled to make ends meet.  They both were always working, sometimes more than one job each, in order to provide for me and my sister.  I'm sure it was extremely difficult and we probably went without a lot...but the thing is, my sister and I never knew.  We never felt like we didn't have everything.

I remember several Christmas's where my mom or dad would tell us that it would be a skimpy Christmas that year.  It never was a skimpy Christmas.  My sister and I both had working cars as soon as we turned 16 and a "brand new" car as a high school graduation gift.  That's more than a lot of kids get.  I don't know how they pulled it off...but they always did.  I know I speak for my sister when I say that we had an amazing upbringing and are so privileged to have the parents that we do.

While I love my father very much...it is Mother's day and I'm going to focus on her for this post...he will get his post next month =)

Many people who are reading this have met (or are related to) my mother and they will agree...she is an amazing woman.  She has one of the kindest souls and truly is beautiful both inside and out. (I mean look at the pictures...she's GAH-geous!)  She is kind, creative, and has a love for beauty in everything.  Not to mention she has been 1000% supportive of me my entire life.  When I came out to her, she was so happy for me to be the real me.  There was no hesitation.  Our relationship didn't change one iota...except for maybe to be that much stronger.  I remember one conversation I had with my mom my freshman year in college.  I had always been an A+ student, ever since I started getting letter grades and I was one of those annoying people who never had to study much to get those grades.  Well then college happened.  I was calling my mom in disappointment to let her know that I would be getting a C in Chemistry that semester and my mom said: "Well...did you crack a book?" and I said no, expecting her to admonish me for not studying hard enough and no wonder I got a C.  But then she just said "Well then I'm proud of you!"  Haha.  See what she did there?  No matter what I wanted to do, I was always supported by my mom.  I  could have told her I wanted to join the circus for a living and she would have been OK with that as long as that's what I really wanted to do.

I was never pressured into doing something I didn't want to do "for my own good" and I honestly can't remember the reason for any of the fights we used to have (although there weren't many).  I'm sure it had more to do with teenager angst and not wanted to do the dishes than anything else.  She instilled in my sister and I the value of family and the value of being kind.  She gave us an appreciation for art and the ability to see it anywhere in life.  Above all...she loves us unconditionally...and you can't ask for more than that.

Like I said, I'm a big ol' mamas boy and proud of it.  I could probably gush over her for hours, but I won't.  Here are some of my favorite pictures:

Thanksgiving 2011



























1984...I remember that paper towel holder

























Aunt Sandie, Cousin Michie, My Mom, Me, and My Mom's Mom AKA Grandma.  My guess is 1988


At the White House
At my Masters Graduation in 2007

49th Birthday.  I love how my Aunt Sandie looks more surprised at the cake than my mom.

Same Smile

Checking out the Karaoke Selection

This one sums it up pretty well...
I grew up with a lot of love and a lot of support.  I know unequivocally that I would not be who I am today if it wasn't for this amazing lady's influence and I know that the world is a better place because she's in it.  So on this Mother's Day, I say I LOVE YOU to the best mom in the world.  Sorry other people...but it's true.

2 comments:

  1. i love this! And you are correct... your mother is one heck-of-a woman. Happy Mother's day, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have and always will love your family miss all of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete